Thursday 21 February 2019

Cruel Seas - Type VIIc Submarine

The last have been quite but I wasn't passive. I've been preparing Union troops for our Tactica game but nevertheless I made provision for the water theme round:


As you see it's a Type VIIc submarine for Cruel Seas. The Type VII was the most common German submarine in World War II. It's based on the WW I Type II submarine and was build in many different versions. The VIIc was the workhorse of the submarine fleet and 568 units were commissioned.


The model is based on a 1/350 model kit by Revell. Actually it's a full hull model so I needed to cut it down to waterline. Unfortunately it didn't go as smooth as necessary so I based it on thin plastic sheet and applied some waves with greenstuff.


Afterwards I painted the boat with Vallejo paints as well as thinner based washes by AK. To give it a similar look as my former Kriegsmarine E-Boats I mounted one of the flags that came with Cruel Seas. A bit fiddly but after all it worked.


By scale the u-boat is slightly smaller then the 1/300 kits by Warlord Games but nevertheless it fits in very well. Actually it's recommended by Warlord to use 1/350 kits for larger ships.


After all I'm really happy with the result and I hope you like it as well. Anyway during the next weeks I'll present my ACW troops but that's it for now. Nearly because I cannot close the post without delivering the most iconic u-boat theme of all time:


8 comments:

  1. She is absolutely splendid Stefan and fits the scale well. Great job with the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work. The bow wave has made a virtue of necessity, and sets the model off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb work Stefan - torpedos los!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, the sub looks great! I just played my first Cruel Seas game last week. No subs in that game, but it made me wonder of the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing her on the table though...

    ReplyDelete