Monday 10 December 2018

9th Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge.... I'm in!

Nearly a years has passed with no noticebly activity on this blog. So actually there are two possible ways for 2019:

Monty, get off your backside and bring up content again!

or

Desert your colours and delete the whole thing!

To be hontest I've been really undecided what to do. But when I visited Crisis last month I met a couple of the finest wargaming fellows again and was reminded of the circumstances of our acqaintance namely the bloggo-sphere. Thus I realised that I'm not able and willing to throw this all away. 2019 I'll give it another go and try to get back on track.

To support that I decided to throw my hat in the ring of Curt's ingenious yearly painting challenge again:



Last year I skipped the challenge but this time I was lucky enough that Curt reserved a slot for me and welcomed prodigal son with open arms. I enroled with my usual 500 pts and I'm curious whether I'll be able to fulfill that goal. Currently my plans are as follows:
  1. Bring forth my ACW project for Tactica 2019 in Hamburg
  2. Paint the ships from the Cruel Seas starter set
  3. Pass as many bonus rounds as possible
So #1 is already running of course but several pieces of artillery and a couple of command vignettes are to be painted during the AHPC season.

#2 must take its place behind #1 but is seductive beyond comparison. Currently I'm still waiting for my set to arrive but I'm confidant that the postman will drop it on my dorstep today or tomorrow. Additionally the play through video by Warlord Games looks stunning and I cannot wait to lay my hands on those nice little ships and lead them into battle. But our ACW presentation in Hamburg must stay at top priority.

#3 will depend on my progress with #1 and #2. For some topics I'm on a good way but for some I have no idea what to contribute. The ideas:
  1. Reconnaissance -- No real idea yet. Maybe a pair of AT-RT-Walker for Star Wars Legion
  2. Sport -- Perhaps a six man team for Blitz Bowl
  3. Mercenary -- No real idea yet.
  4. Water Feature -- Cruel Seas
  5. Fellowship -- I have a couple of Holmes/Watson-Sets. Maybe one of those.
That's it for now. I'm looking forward to the AHPC. If you haven't taken notice of it yet please have a look at Curt's page. It's packed with sublime contribution from former years and it'll get lots of new input as soon as the next challenge starts. On midnight of December 21st it's time!

Last but not least the link to the Cruel Seas video I mentioned earlier:
 

It's nearly 80 minutes with designer Richard Carlisle and Warlord Charlie Monaghan playing one of the default scenarios from the basic rulebook. It's packed with explanations and inshore action. Frankly I cannot wait to get my copy.

22 comments:

  1. Great look forward to seeing you there! As long as blogger allows I'll keep my blog. I think a blog is something solid where you can place all your work for viewers to look at kinda like a hobby journal while things like Facebook are ephemeral and made for quick consumption and thrown away.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher. Actually I couldn't agree more but in 2017 and 2018 I disregarded it far too much.

      Cheers
      Stefan

      Delete
  2. Good to have you on board and good luck old boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my Irish mate! This warm welcome back is highly appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back. I suggest for the sport round a demon 9 year old girl in ice hockey kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to paint a suitable ice hockey figure beyond comparison but haven't found anything useful yet.

      By the way we had a turnament on Saturday where she scored her first hattrick besides two assists. I cannot tell how proud I was since she didn't score goals for several games taking defensive duties without hesitation when her coach told her so. :-)

      Delete
  4. Good to see you back , and it was good catching up at Crisis. I have just received my Cruel Seas order , so it will being added into to own winter production For sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeting you and Adam in Antwerp really made my day.!

      I'm still waiting for Cruel Seas. Snail mail didn't drop it today... :-/

      Delete
  5. It will be great to have you along this year, Stefan! I've recieved my starter box for Cruel Seas and am busy building the models for the Challenge. I think Miles has announced a Nautical Duel which might help stoke the forge. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Curt. Many thanks for having a place in the challenge for me.

      I think I not ready for ACW and a Nautical Duel but I'll follow your efforts with keen eyes and hope to finish at least a couple of Vospers during the challenge.

      Delete
  6. Glad to see you back in the Challenge and bl8gging again Stefan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your return to the fold will be warmly welcomed Stefan :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to have you aboard, Stefan, and blogging again!! We will make sure you're 'piped aboard' in fully nautical fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back mate - can I tempt you into the growing Cruel Seas side challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, Captain. If you need a powder monkey... ;-)
      I'd contribute some boats, but probably not more than the starter set.

      Delete
  10. See you in the Challenge mosh pit. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see you back Stefan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Millsy. Great to be welcomed back that warmly.

      Delete