Sunday 25 October 2020

9th Lancers to Kandahar

 From the very beginning of my NWF efforts a painting by Orlando Norie kept fascinating me:

Thus acutally since 2015 I've been pondering about painting a unit of lancers to represent those brave men. To be honest those figures have been lying on my lead pile for a while but during the last weeks I finally took the time to finish the horeses (they've been primed ages ago...) and to paint the riders. All in all I aimed for a twelve men unit to have them ready for any rule set from 'The Men who would be Kings' to 'Blackpowder':


The miniatures themselves are from Perry Miniatures' sublime Sudan range. Actually they represent the 10th Hussars fighting against the Mahdi rebellion with improvised lances to catch prone enemies. After I compared them to Norie's painting I came to the conclusion that they should serve rather well. There are a couple of small inaccuracies: The blanket on the back of the saddle is missing, the 9th lancers on the painting appear to carry an Indian style water bottle, it's not clear whether there are pugrees on the painting. Anyway I was ready to accept those minor flaws. Especially since I didn't find any better models.


There are several photographs of 9th lancers during their tour of duty in 1880. On these the fellows show a variety of clothing: home service pieces, padded winter jackets, khaki jackets etc. After some pondering I decided to paint the unit uniformly in khaki jackets and blue home service trousers.


For painting the figures I employed my trousted Vallejo paints. The khaki sheme is bases on VGC 'Khaki' while most other paints where from the Vallejo Model Color range. For the first time I didn't employ Wargames Foundry's skin colour sextette but Citadel's contrast paint 'Darkoath Flesh'. I'm really pleased with the result. Especially because it safes loads of time. It's just one layer. No more no less. With the Foundry colours I painted fours to six layers to build up shades, highlights etc.


For the lances I decided to use steel pikes rather than the delivered lead ones. My experience showed that the latter tend to bent and never get straight again. Although those don't represent the bamboo lances used at that time perfectly I appreciate their durability. The pennants are self-made. I cut them from common printer paper and apprlied super glue to give them a plastic like stiffness. Finally painted them red over white.

To pretect the models I applied a couple of layers of gloss and flat varnish by airbrush.

That's it for now. Soon there is more NWF stuff to follow but not now. I hope you like them. Please feel free to leave a comment to let me know.

15 comments:

  1. They look great Stefan. The splash of colour in the pennants sets them off nicely, doesn't it? Ready to defend those camels, haha!!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, James.
      Indeed they'll guard the camels and some more to come. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking toys Stephan...
    The colour combination is particularly attractive...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Aly.
      The combination of khaki and blue is what caught me too.

      Delete
  3. Lovely job Stefan. The Perry Sudan figures look fine for the 9th Lancers. Cheers Greg
    https://deltacoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great, your painting of the khaki is especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work all round Stefan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Perry figures are lovely and your excellent painting has truly done them justice - they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smashing stuff stephan I have been using the citadel contrast paints exclusively on my own NWF collection that I have been building up at the moment and have found that for painting up horses quickly they are fantastic also the skeleton bone paint definitely is the new khaki,
    All the best Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops that's meant to be skeleton hoard contrast paint is the new khaki, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. superbe comme toujours ! bonne année 2022

    ReplyDelete