|The first tile of the new gaming board.|
1st Step: Preparations
Of course we need the material first:
- Medium Density Fibreboard (MDF) as baseplate (in my case pieces of 50cm x 50cm, 10mm thick)
- Styrofoam (in my case 20mm thick)
- Some strips of wood to enforce the edges
- Wood glue
- Painters' filler
2nd Step: Cutting work
First of all you have to cut all pieces to the right size. Fortunately our hardware store offers a cutting service so I had the baseplates cut to 50cm x 50cm right away when I bought them.
Afterwards I cut the strips for the edges with a mitre-box saw and serrated them to 45° at the ends to make nice angels.
|The old and loyal saw.|
After this step we have all parts of the structural work ready.
|The styrofoam plate and the wooden edges prepared and ready for glueing.|
3rd Step: Glueing things
Next step is rather easy. Just put all the prepared parts together. I used white carpenter's glue for everything and it seems to adhere very well.
|Ready for terrain shaping.|
On some tiles I wanted to have some terrain features, especially some hills or brims. To achieve that I used a hot wire cutter and removed anything that didn't like the shape I wanted. However with the next pieces I'll change my cutting tactics a bit because it's rather uncomfortable to reach the center. Maybe I'll try to tool more of the styrofoam before glueing it onto the MDF board.
|Prepared tile and the hot wire cutter.|
To finish the forming it's essential to fill all gaps between the wooden frame and the styrofoam core. I used a cheap acryllic paste from a painters' store. Although it's goldishly coloured it was the cheapest. Anyway the colour doesn't matter but it should be a smooth paste without grains in it.
|The gaps filled with gold...|
After several years with plain boards with grass matts I decided to make the new board rougher. So I wanted to use some medium coarse-grained sand to cover the surface of the boards and then paint it in brownish and greyish coulours. I used slightly thinned wood glue to stick the sand to the styrofoam.
|The partly covered tile.|
Well that was part one of my step-by-step report of my new gaming board. Next week I want to prepare some more pieces and paint them. At this opportunity I'll try to make to WIP shots of the painting process and let you know which colours I used.
Additionally I'm working on some smaller terrain pieces: A 20mm Normandy house, some trees and some LED illuminated fire markers. I hope to be able to present some results this weekend.