Monday 25 August 2014

Major Baring and three more 2nd KGL Riflemen

During the weekend I finished the announced riflemen finally. First of all their brave leader Major Georg Baring who lead the defense of La Haye Sainte during the battle of Waterloo nearly 200 years ago:
It's a rather simple conversio based on Perry Miniatures' light infantry officer, a bicorn head from the plastic box and some greenstuff. Although I'm definitely no talented sculptor I'm rather satisfied with the figure. Especially the part of the breast where the knot of the mirliton hat was sculpted. I had to remove it and then imitate the straps of Baring's jacket. Best seen on the image in the middle. Baring is based on a rather unusual 20mm x 40mm base. Actually that is slightly smaller than mounted figures are usually based but I wanted to be able to place him seamlessly between the riflemen on foot.
Second is a sergeant showing the boys where to go.

Another officer on foot. I'm not sure whether my attempt to paint NMM gold on the strap of the mirliton was successful. Looks a bit too yellow I'm afraid. So I would appreciate any hints for NMM recipes based on Vallejo Model Colors.
Once again it was great fun to paint this bunch of Perry miniatures. They are very well sculpted and a funny detail is that all the riflemen have a moustache. The only thing I didn't like that much is that all the colours of the uniform are very dark. That doesn't leave too many possibilities over to play with highlights. Especially the many black parts are a bit boring for painting and unpleasant for photography. Anyway the riflemen wore such an equipment in 1815...

13 comments:

  1. You've been busy Stefan, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stefan - these are fantastic. I've painted these figures and they are quite tricky as you say - not just the dark uniforms but all the detail as well. You've done a brilliant job. Excellent conversion on Baring - he looks like's he's just walked/trotted out of that famous painting of LHS.

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  3. The all look stunning Stefan. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful painting and attention to detail on their faces - amazing that you're getting in those eyes so well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great brushwork on all of these Riflemen. Love the mounted major!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, great looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent painted figures Stefan! Like them a lot!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, great details...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks for the hint.
    Actually I read it before and tried to re-interpret your recipe bacause I didn't have all the colours at hand. Especially those not from VMC. But probably I should simple look for them and try it again...

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello chaps,

    many thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad that you like my humble work.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work! I especially like the faces.

    ReplyDelete