Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Weekly News: Trees, Primer and Protectiv Gear

This afternoon I will have the rare opportunity to undertake a long airbrushing session because Mrs. Monty and our daughter will visit some friends of hers. But to prepare that there were three dozens of Austrian infantrymen which had to be undercoated. But with about 5 °C below zero priming on the balcony is impossible. Against better knowledge I decided to spray the miniatures indoors on my workbench. I opened the window as wide as possible and put on all protective gear I had:
Protected Monty
However it worked rather well and I didn't smell any solvent. Besides that the only disadvantage is the fine white powder which set down on all surfaces directly near the spraying box... However the afternoon airbrushing session is save.

Besides that the last week was a time of unfinished tales on my workbench:

I started to paint the first eight men for a unit of Old Guard Grenadiers and six Hussars for my 1st KGL Hussars unit. Both loads are in a state of painting which is not to be presented here. To be honest the hussars look nearly hopelessly smudgy. However I'm not too afraid since a lot of my figures run through this state and I just have to keep on until the details and highlights are painted. Mostly it comes together satisfyingly then

Additionally I prepared some tree armatures to prepare some trees for my new gaming board. Some of them are self-made of wire and in addition I bought five of the Heki armatures. I'll show you some pictures when there's more progress. The first tree of wire which I made for testing reasons is alright, but I don't like the crown:
Test-tree made off wire, polyfibre and small foliage
Besides that I worked on the new gaming board a bit and finished the second tile. While working I took some shots to prepare a little tutorial. I hope to get the first part online this weekend. Until now you might want to take a look of the shelf I made to store the gaming board tiles:
The shelf for my new gaming board tiles.





10 comments:

  1. Love the rack, if only I had a room.. well I used to but then we had kids

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian.

      After our daughter was born my wife and me had to plug all our stuff from two rooms into one. Therefore space is rare and precious for us too. The rack measures about 20" x 20" and holds 11 tiles. In addition to the tiles near the rack of course. I had no idea how to use the space better...

      Cheers
      Monty

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my very best not to disappoint you.
      :-)

      Delete
  3. The rack is so fecking functional, I need one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having seduced you was worth every strike on my thumbs.
      :-D

      Delete
  4. You do realise, if your Mrs reads this your dead!!! Nice tree though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually she doesn't give a damn about the condition of my workbench. And after reading the post she told me that I should consider to wear the gas mask more often because it suits me...

      However she shortened my free afternoon with some laundry to do, but I had enough time to airbrush the Austrians anyway.
      :-)

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! You wait until the dear Mrs Monty goes out and then it is on with the rubber mask - I just hope the neighbours didn't see! :D The tree is amazing, I've paid for trees that were no where near as good as your.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas and work. Looking forward to your scratch-tree-tutorial.

    ReplyDelete